What a shame! CPM dictates to Cong on foreign policy
[ There was a time when gherao was the prescribed form of throttling private enterprise in West Bengal. It was frightening. Today, violence takes other forms. The CPM, shockingly, now dictates to the Congress in the Central Government in matters of foreign policy and the Congress submits to pressures, meekly. It is to this sad state of affairs, that the Congress has been reduced.]
Isn’t there any way to bring the Communist Party to its senses? Throughout the years since first the party was established in India around 1929 it has played a divisive and sometimes murderous role. Particularly repulsive was its stand on the Quit India Movement. It is not necessary, in this context, to separate the CPM from the CPI. They are twins and share the same DNA.
Violence has been in their blood and the Communists, whatever their internal differences have been, have revelled in murder. The violence indulged by the CPM in Nandigram is consistent with its character. The murderous role of the Maoists is only too well known for reiteration. The CPM came to Power in West Bengal through violent techniques. It has stayed in power for the last three decades also through consistent use of violence. As Sunanda Sanyal, president of the Ganamukti Parishad wrote in Mainstream (27 December 2007) “the fact is, such a party as the CPM cannot survive in power without knocking hell out of the lives of the people”.
So infuriated were the intellectuals of Kolkata over the Singur and Nandigram events that 10 million of them marched on 14 November 2007, in unison, in Kolkata, to express their anger. According to Mainstream, itself a Leftist paper, “free India has rarely witnessed such a huge rally of intellectuals”. But the Nandigram massacre almost pales into insignificance in the context of the brutal killings in Kannur, a district in Kerala, where the CPM has been going crazy. Its target is the BJP and RSS, both of which are steadily gaining ground in the state.
In the first week of March, CPM goons hacked to death four RSS men while the police looked on helplessly. As a report in The Pioneer (March 8) noted, “Police stood helpless in Thalassery, Koothuparambu, Panoor and other areas of Kannur District known for the murderous politics of the CPM”. In one village, Dharmadom, houses of two RSS workers were bombed by CPM goons. The former were compelled to retaliate.
According to Mr. L. K. Advani, five BJP and RSS workers have been hacked yes, hacked to death by the CPM murderers since March 5.One RSS worker, who was also a teacher, was recently killed right in front of young students when he was taking a class. The scene is best not described in all its gory details. The Congress keeps mum. It wants CPM’s support to stay in power, even when its Leftist ally threatens to withdraw it on the issue of signing the 123 Agreement.
No self-respecting party would have accepted Communist support, considering its bloody role in the past. Is Sonia Gandhi, for instance, aware of the CPI’s role during the quit India movement? People’s War, the then United Communist Party’s organ ridiculed the quit India resolution and denigrated the clarion call issued by the Mahatma to do or die.
The paper went on to damn the Congress as a fascist organisation, naming as guilty not just the Mahatma but other Congress leaders as well. Subhash Chandra Bose who had escaped to Japan was similarly condemned as a Fascist what else? To curry favour with the British, CPI leader P.C.Joshi submitted to the government a 120-page report on how the communists have been disrupting the quit India movement in province after province, with total dedication.
That report could not have been improved upon by any other collaborator of the British or by any quisling. Joshi was so anxious to prove his party’s utility to the British rule that he claimed that he was doing a better job of stemming the Quit India movement than the British government itself! What is even worse, the CPI, in a thesis proclaimed that India was not one nation, but a collection of separate nationalities, that the demand for Pakistan was a just and democratic one and that the Congress must concede to the Muslims the right of self-determination.
In addition, the Communists helped police to arrest several hundred Congress volunteers, who were actively participating in the post 1942 freedom struggle and had them tortured. During the 1942 movement, the Communists were more loyal to the British than the King of England. They heaped insults on Gandhi, Subhash Chandra Bose and Jayaprakash Narayan, ran down the Quit India Movement as an indication of bankruptcy of Ideas and sided with China in the Sino-Indian conflict in 1962.
That, surely, was the most traitorous act, and so far, no apology has come from the party. The CPM turned out to be just an Indian branch of the Chinese Communist Party. In the last week of June 1967, Radio Peking announced that “a phase of peasants” armed struggle led by the revolutionaries of the Indian Communist party has been set up in the country side in Darjeeling District” and that “this is the front paw of the revolutionary armed struggle launched by the Indian people, under the guidance of Mao Tse-Tung’s teachings”
Yes, Mao’s teachings, not the Mahatma’s! China hailed the emergence of this revolutionary armed revolution, in the actual words of Radio Peking. Is Sonia Gandhi reading this? While the first sparks of so-called revolution were being lit in Naxalbari, another group of Marxists, under the direction of CPM leader B.T.Ranadive, were preparing for action in Andhra Pradesh. Their leader was Tarimala Nagi Reddy, who proclaimed the futility of the parliamentarian path and deliberately took to violence.
The Nehru Government had to respond by arresting and detaining as many as 50,000 CPM workers and sympathisers. The CPM today will argue that internal rivalries within the Communist movement as a whole led by different segments of the original party to various forms of violent activities should not be used to condemn Communism in toto. That is a poor excuse. For the ordinary people, unaware of the niceties of ideological differences, all Communists are the same violent prone, and it really does not matter whether different segments call themselves as CPI, CPI(M) or CPI(Marxist-Leninist).
There was a time when gherao was the prescribed form of throttling private enterprise in West Bengal. It was frightening. Today, violence takes other forms. The CPM, shockingly, now dictates to the Congress in the Central Government in matters of foreign policy and the Congress submits to pressures, meekly. It is to this sad state of affairs, that the Congress has been reduced. At every period of Indian history, since 1929, Communists have shown their true colour. First, they served Soviet interests. Subsequently, they were to serve Chinese interests which the CPM still does: Who can forget how the CPM described itself during the brief Sino-Indian War?”
It declared Chairman Mao as its own Chairman and it gave both overt and covert support to him. It is this party that is presently holding the Congress to ransom. The Congress quivers with fear and helplessness. But what can one expect from a party whose sole objective is not serving the country but staying in power? What do Sonia Gandhi and her sycophants know of India’s History for us to expect from them a sense of self-respect? A party once known for Gandhian non-violence is at the mercy of a party whose professed ideology is endless violence. It is to this sorry state that they have today come. Jai Hind! Jai Bharat!
COMMENT by Capt. (Retd.) Balakrishnan, IN : For a greater and detailed expose of these "RED QUISLINGS" , please read - "THE ONLY FATHERLAND: COMMUNISTS , 'QUIT INDIA' AND THE SOVIET UNION" - ARUN SHOURIE - ASA Publications, New Delhi".
A MUST READ IN MY OPINION.
- At the time of the British conquest, that is, towards the middle of the 18th century, the economic and political evolution of India was such that her people could be called ‘RATHER A NUMBER OF NATIONALITIES INHABITING A CONTINENT THAN A COMPOSITE NATIONAL UNIT. (REF: G. ADHIKARI (ed), ‘DOCUMENTS OF THE HISTORY OF THE COMMUNIST PARTY OF INDIA, NEW DELHI, 1971, pp 382.
- The Revolt of 1857 was a ‘reactionary flare-up of ‘decadent feudalism. Socially it was a ‘reactionary movement’ because it wanted to replace British Rule by the revival of ‘FEUDAL IMPERIALISM’ EITHER OF THE MOGHULS OR THE MARATHAS. (pp 383.)
- The overwhelming majority of the population lived in villages, steeped in ignorance and submerged in social stagnation. Politics, forms of government, National subjugation or freedom remained outside their concern and beyond their comprehension. (pp 383.)
- THE ONLY SECTION OF THE PEOPLE SHOWING ANY SIGN OF LIFE WAS THE MODERN INTELLECTUALS EDUCATED IN WESTERN METHODS AND THOUGHTS. THESE ‘DENATIONALISED’ INTELLECTUALS WERE INSTRUEMENTAL IN BRINGING TO INDIA, ‘FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HER LONG EVENTFUL HISTORY, POLITICAL PATRIOTISM. (pp 383-384)
- he constitutional democracy or the ‘EVOLUTIONARY NATIONALISM’ advocated by the ‘LIBERAL BOURGEOISE’ led by the intellectuals spelled doom to the old social heritage and religious orthodoxy. And these ‘REVOLUTIONARY FORCES’ were crystallizing in the Congress under ‘radical leaders’ whose programme was NOT to revive the India of the ‘rishis’ with its contented handicraft workers saturated with ignorance and dosed in the name of ‘religion’, but to build a ‘NEW SOCIETY’ on the ‘RUINS OF THE OLD’. (pp 389-390).
- The struggle of the ‘RADICAL INTELLIGENTSIA’ was not against an effete and antiquated political institution but for the ‘DEMOCRATISATION OF THE EXISTING GOVERNMENT WHICH’- - - was the ‘MOST ADVANCED THE COUNTRY HAD TILL THEN. (pp 384)
- ‘ORTHODOX NATIONALISM’, in the social sense, ‘WAS THE RESISTANCE OF FORCES OF REACTION AGAINST THE OMINOUS RADICALISM OF THE DENATIONALISED INTELLECTUALS WHO LED THE CONGRESS’. The same forces whose military explosion was the Mutiny of 1857, ‘COULD BE DISCOVERED BEHIND THE POLITICAL THEORIES OF THE ORTHODOX NATIONALISM OF HALF A CENTURY LATER. (pp 390)
- Although its political philosopher and leader were found subsequently in the persons of AUROBINDO GHOSE and BIPIN CHANDRA PAL, respectively, ‘ITS FUNDAMENTAL IDEOLOGY WAS CONCEIVED BY A YOUNG INTELLECTUAL OF PETIT-BOURGEOIS ORIGIN. HE WAS NARENDRA NATH DUTT SUBSEQUENTLY KNOWN BY THE RELIGIOUS NOMENCLATURE OF SWAMI VIVEKANANDA- - -. LIKE TILAK, DUTT WAS ALSO A PROPHET OF HINDU NATIONALISM. HE WAS ALSO A BELIEVER IN THE CULTURAL SUPERIORITY OF THE INDIAN PEOPLE, AND HELD THAT ON THIS CULTURAL BASIS SHOULD BE BUILT THE FUTURE INDIAN NATION.’ ‘HE PREACHED THAT HINDUISM, NOT INDIAN NATIONALISM, SHOULD BE AGGRESSIVE. HIS NATIONALISM WAS A SPIRITUAL IMPERIALISM’. (pp 391-392)
- Thus an intelligently rebellious element which otherwise would have been the vanguard of the ‘exploited class’ in a social struggle, had to give in to national pre-occupations and contribute itself to a movement for the immediate overthrow of foreign rule, NOT FOR PROGRESS FORWARD, BUT IN ORDER TO GO BACK TO AN IMAGINARY GOLDEN AGE, THE FOUNTAIN-HEAD OF INDIA’S SPIRITUAL HERITAGE.’ ‘IN THEIR RELIGIOUSNESS AND WILD SPIRITUAL IMPERIALISM, THEY EMBODIED THE REACTIONARY SOCIAL FORCES.’ (pp 393)
- The ‘extremists’, now called ‘NON-COOPERATORS’, have had better success than the ‘MODERATES’ in drawing the masses under the influence of NATIONALISM---. But they could not develop the potentiality of the mass movement by leading it in accordance with the economic urges and social tendencies. Their tactics was to strengthen the nationalist movement by the questionable method of ‘exploiting’ the ignorance of the masses. AND THE BEST WAY OF EXPLOITING THE IGNORANCE OF THE MASSES WAS TO MAKE A RELIGION OF ‘NATIONALISM’. ‘THIS TACTICS LED TO THE APPEARANCE OF MOHAN DAS KARAMCHAND GANDHI ON THE POLITICAL HORIZON, AND THE ECLIPSE OF ALL OTHER POLITICO-SOCIAL TENDENCIES IN THE SHADE OF GANDHISM’. (pp 394)
- ‘ IN GANDHISM CULMINATE ALL THE SOCIAL TENDENCIES THAT HAVE ALWAYS DIFFERENTIATED THE PRINCIPAL TENDENCIES OF INDIAN NATIONALISM. IN FACT, GANDHISM IS THE ACUTEST AND MOST DESPERATE MANIFESTATION OF THE FORCES OF REACTION TRYING TO HOLD THEIR OWN AGAINST THE OBJECTIVELY REVOLUTIONARY TENDENCIES CONTAINED IN THE LIBERAL BOURGEOIS NATIONALISM. THE IMPENDING WANE OF GANDHISM SIGNIFIES THE COLLAPSE OF THE REACTIONARY FORCES AND THEIR TOTAL ELIMINATION FROM THE POLITICAL MOVEMENT’. (pp 394-395)
- ALTHOUGH SOMEWHAT UNIQUE IN ITS IDIOSYNCRASIES AND FANATICISM, THE GANDHI CULT IS NOT AN INNOVATION. DIVESTED OF THE REBELLIOUS SPIRIT AND THE SHREWD POLITICIAN IN HIM, TILAK WOULD RESEMBLE GANDHI IN SO FAR AS RELIGIOUS BELIEF AND SPIRITUAL PREJUDICES ARE CONCERNED. BUT FOR HIS VERSATALITY IN MODERN THOUGHT AND CHARACTERISTIC LOOSENESS OF CONVICTION, BIPIN CHANDRA PAL WOULD PERCHANCE JOIN THE MAHATMA IN THE PASSIONATE DENUNCIATION OF EVERYTHING THAT ADDS TO THE MATERIAL COMFORT OF MAN.’ HAD HE BEEN MORE OF A MONOMANIAC THAN A PROFOUND THINKER WITH METAPHYSICAL PREOCCUPATIONS, AUROBINDO GHOSE WOULD SUBSCRIBE TO GANDHI’S PHILOSOPHY.’( pp 396-397)